HOMESCHOOL TIPS | RESOURCES FOR NEW HOMESCHOOL MOMS |HOMESCHOOL FAMILY | CORONA VIRUS HELP | TIPS & TRICKS
I’m a new homeschool mom. Well, that’s a phrase I never thought I’d type! If you’re like me and finding yourself searching for resources in your new role as homeschool mom, then I’m you girl! These are the tips & tricks from Emilie McCormack of Operation Homeschool, along with links to the resources needed for new homeschool moms. I’ve got THE educational activities to keep your PreK-5th grader occupied over the next however long it takes for us to contain Corona.
Supplies You’ll Need As A New Homeschool Mom
Emilie’s first tip was to head to your local Dollar Store, which of course I did. Here’s what she recommended, coupled with what I picked up:
- Binders for each kid (I color coordinated because I like pretty things, but not necessary)
- Pencil pouches to contain: 2 pencils, 2 pens, and 1 essential oils roller ball because smells trigger your brain and we want the kiddos knowing it’s time for school!
- Age-appropriate activity booklets
- Multiplication packets
- Writing packets
- Drawing/Coloring packets
- Crayons, Colored Pencils & Other art supplies
- Stickers for sticker charts
- Lined notebooks for each kid (again, color coordinated)
- Inflatable globe or fold out map
- Jumprope (for your busy bodies)
- Maze/Crossword Search booklets for each kiddo when you need to do one-on-one instruction
Again, all of these things can be found at the Dollar Store. And no, I am not sponsored by the Dollar Store but hey, if you’re reading this Dollar Tree – feel free to slide into my DM’s. 😉
Daily Schedule for New Homeschool Moms
Look, this is going to have most likely be customized for each family. Emilie likes the feel of a slow morning and easing their way into the start of their school, for others (like my early risers), we might be more apt to get going out of the gates to leave our afternoons more open. You are the best assessor for your family’s needs, so outline something that is going to work for YOU, and don’t stress about rigid structure for each day because you’re most likely juggling multiple kids, and multiple kids’ needs, so LET IT GO.
Here are some suggestions for you though that I found from around the internet:
Links & Resources for New Homeschool Moms Including Free or Inexpensive Homeschool Curriculum
I’ve been collecting various resources for all of us new homeschool moms (who would’ve thought?!) to share with you on Instagram, so knock yourself and click away to find what is best for your kiddos!
- Teachers Pay Teachers (free online community with lots of materials to download and/or purchase)
- Khan Academy (free online teaching tools)
- Young Rembrandts (YouTube Channel – teaches them how to draw!)
- Etsy Shops (tons of inexpensive worksheets downloads – remember that I got most of mine from the Dollar Store!)
- Monthly Virtue Lessons
- Scholastic Reading – this is NEW and FREE, just implemented for Corona Virus!
I know that for us, we’re going to be continuing to start our morning each day with our Monthly Virtue Morning Lesson (the theme this month is Compassion!), and you can click here to download that for free right now.
These are unprecedented times mamas, but putting on your oxygen mask first each day, before you tend to your small army is going to be what gets us through this. Self-care is soul care so PLEASE do not neglect yourself as you begin homeschooling. Hard things are worth it, and we can do hard things. You were MADE to do this and we will get through it!
Hey! If you found this post helpful at all, consider sharing it with a friend or Pinning it for later!